Wednesday, November 9, 2011

On The Road With Titan Tennis; Behind the Scenes at Michigan State


Senior Amanda Cornwell
Nov. 9, 2011
By Amanda Cornwell

Well this past weekend five of us girls went to Michigan State to compete against five other schools. It was a very long weekend since it lasted Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Friday wasn’t too bad because matches started at 2pm so we got to sleep in but on the other two days we had to leave at 6am and 6am comes fast! If you were to look in the van at the time, girls are bobbing their heads and fluttering their eyes trying not to fall asleep because we are not allowed to sleep on the way to a match. But as soon as we get to Tim Hortons we all wake because we look forward to getting our coffee and muffins. One of the days we stopped at Timmy’s (Tim Hortons) and there was a gentleman there who was a die-hard sports fan. He came up to us and chatted away about sports and what sports he liked and acted very interested to what sport we played and wished us luck as we were leaving. I loved taking 10 minutes out of my day to talk to this man because I know it made his day.

On the first day of the tournament during the warm up I twisted my ankle, I couldn’t believe that it was happening to me because I have shin splints and my legs are already in enough pain. At first I didn’t think I could move my foot so Raina (Halabi) had to pull me up, but a few minutes later I got up and started hitting balls and played in all my matches later that day. The next day I played doubles just for Julia (Fernandes) because her parents came to support us and I wanted her parents to see their daughter to play as much as possible. After my doubles matches I defaulted the rest of my matches. On a better note the rest of the team did a fantastic job. In one of the doubles matches I have never seen Julia run so hard and fast ever in my life and was probably one of the best points I have seen! That point was the highlight of the weekend! There was also a robbery on the last day of the tournament in the State locker room and thankfully none of our stuff was taken. With that match over our fall season has come to an end which is probably for the best because there was starting to be too much estrogen in the group and we all need a little time apart even though we all love each other.

Titan Tennis,
AC

No comments:

Post a Comment