Friday, October 15, 2010

Danny Preston- men's lacrosse blog

  
Wednesday, September 29, 2010 
Danny Preston - Men's Lacrosse Junior

I came to the University as a freshman and built great friendships with a great recruiting class, who had and still have high aspirations. We came ready to play Lacrosse. To tell the truth, I didn't know what to expect because I had never played at a college level. I came out of my first fall ball season with many different styles of face-offs and slowly eliminated the ones that were ineffective, and developed new ones that were suitable for my competition. The pressure of being a true freshman was intense and it made me evaluate my every move. My main endeavor was to prove myself worthy as a face-off midfielder.

After multiple dislocations of my shoulder, I had to undergo a major surgery on my labrum. The road to recovery has been a long one. I redshirted my sophomore year, but I used it as a learning experience. However, this has been a blessing in disguise. I am back this year with a newly gained respect and intelligence for the sport. Whatever I thought of the game is gone. Our team is shaking off its youth and putting that in the past. I once again have to prove to my team, coaches and to myself that it’s business time. My experience has doubled since my freshman year and so has my drive. Not only am I competing against myself, I am competing daily with our other face-off midfielders, Brandon Davenport and Tyler Corcoran, for a starting position. All three of us are more than capable to have it, so it is a grind everyday for self-improvement and to better each other.

The sense of competition within our team is no mistake. Every practice we are a litter of pit bulls fighting for a common meal and refusing to come out empty handed. We have to show the tenacity and enthusiasm for this sport or it's off to the bench, which is one place we all refuse to go. I'm tired of talking about it. I'd rather be about it. Let's go play some Lax!

No comments:

Post a Comment